3 Q's: gemmae, seedlings and hybrids

From: John Green (HPJGREEN@ihc.com)
Date: Wed Feb 03 1999 - 10:23:55 PST

Date: Wed, 03 Feb 1999 11:23:55 -0700
From: "John Green" <HPJGREEN@ihc.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: 3 Q's: gemmae, seedlings and hybrids

Q1: Can pygmy Drosera gemmae be stored? What is the best method
and how long can they be kept in storage?

Q2: I've had a difficult time growing Sarracenia from seedlings. I
notice that as the seed sprouts, it produces the cotyledons (sp?)
about 1 cm above the soil, and then all the pitchers are produced at
that spot, the same place I assume the rhizome will develop. Should
I push some of the soil up around the plant to bring it up to that
level?

Q3: When making a hybrid cross between Sarracenia species, does it
make a difference in the offspring which plant produces the seed?

John Green Salt Lake City, UT