Re: 3 Q's: gemmae, seedlings and hybrids

From: Phil Wilson (cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk)
Date: Mon Feb 08 1999 - 12:56:42 PST

Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 20:56:42 +0000
From: Phil Wilson <cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: 3 Q's: gemmae, seedlings and hybrids

John,

>As for the Sarracenia seedlings, I wish I were having as much success
>as some of you. I tried a bunch last year and only have two Red-tube
>flavas that are still surviving. I think my troubles may have more to
>do with the harsh, dry climate here than anything else. I'll try
>pushing the seeds into the soil just a bit as Phil Wilson suggested, but
>I wonder; do the seeds need light to germinate?

No definitely not! In fact I find in general that I get better
germination if I cover the seeds. I suspect that seeds sown directly on
the surface of the soil run the risk of desiccating at that vital moment
when the seed case splits and the seedling is about to emerge. It only
takes one sunny day and the local humidity on and around the seed can
drop dramatically.

Some growers (e.g. Adrian Slack) recommend adding a layer of chopped
live sphagnum to cover the seed and this probably has a similar effect.
Pure peat is just easier to use!

Regards,
Phil Wilson
Email: cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk