Re: 3 Q's: gemmae, seedlings and hybrids

From: Phil Wilson (cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk)
Date: Fri Feb 05 1999 - 13:17:02 PST

Date: Fri, 5 Feb 1999 21:17:02 +0000
From: Phil Wilson <cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: 3 Q's: gemmae, seedlings and hybrids

In message <199902050018.QAA04138@hplms26.hpl.hp.com>, Dave
<T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU> writes
>Dear Phil W.
>
>> >Q3: When making a hybrid cross between Sarracenia species, does it
>> >make a difference in the offspring which plant produces the seed?
>> >
>> Not as far as I know. There is probably a convention as to which plant
>> (the plant bearing the pollen or the plant bearing the seed) is listed
>> first but I can't remember which way round it is.
>
> The seed bearing plant (mother) is the one listed first. As
>for the first question, it does matter for some plants, but CP'ers
>haven't come up much definative data on for CP's yet. If there
>is anyone who might be able to add info, I reckon that would be
>Phil Sheridan, who has done alot of breeding experiments with
>Sarracenia.

As I understand genetics the only thing that matters is whether a
particular gene effecting a certain characteristic is recessive or
dominant. I can't see how the seed bearer has any influence on this.

I don't claim to be any sort of expert in this field and as so I am
aware that I am probably standing on fairly shaky ground! At least I'm
happy to accept that its probably no where near as straightforward that
that. :-)

Regards,
Phil Wilson
Email: cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk