Introduction

From: TED HADLEY (hadleyt@usa.net)
Date: Sat Jan 16 1999 - 16:14:44 PST

Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 16:14:44 -0800
From: "TED HADLEY" <hadleyt@usa.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Introduction

I am new to CPs and totally fascinated by them. I, probably like most here,
was given a VFT at about age 13, and promptly killed it. (I was in Arizona,
and I kept it in a south-facing window. That probably would have been OK if
I watered it regularly).

A fellow mineralogist piqued my interest again about 8 years ago when at a
talk he gave on the mineralogy of the Low Divide mining district, he showed
slides of "pitcher plants". Now this was in NW California, and we all know
there are no CPs there! :-) I almost made a trip up there, near Crescent
City, CA, just to see the plants, and to hell with the minerals! :-)

This past Christmas, my wife found a book she thought I would like, The
Savage Garden. Well now I am hooked. And I went back to that mineralogist,
borrowed his slide, and guess what? -- Darlingtonia californicus. Now I
plan to send some money to Peter D'Amato for his Patio Collection. I am
going to give this a serious try. Time will tell how I do. But first, I
have some questions, which I will submit in a future email. I have read the
CP archives from Rick Walker's website, but they stop at 1996. Are the 1997
and 1998 CP archives available anywhere?

--------
Ted A. Hadley, Senior Mineralogist hadleyt@usa.net
Mineralogical Investigation Services Sunnyvale, CA 94087 USA