Pyrethrin on CP

From: Paul V. McCullough (pvmcull@voicenet.com)
Date: Sun Jun 08 1997 - 00:02:58 PDT

Date: Sun, 08 Jun 1997 03:02:58 -0400
From: "Paul V. McCullough" <pvmcull@voicenet.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Pyrethrin on CP

> I have used the Schultz spray on a scale-infested Sarr. purp. venosa with no
> harm
> done (but a baby Acacia that was accidentally sprayed, dropped all of its
> leaves).
> For future reference, I'd be interested to hear how the VFT reacts.
>
> cheers,
> Nick
>
> -----------------------
> Nicholas Plummer
> nplummer@umich.edu
> http://www-personal.umich.edu/~nplummer/

  Apparently, my CP came thru without any problems (Yay!)...
unfortunately, the critters have returned, too. (Boo...) On the other
hand some jumped ship to my sundews and butterworts which promptly took
care of the tiny bugs. (Yay!)

  Others have written to me saying that these bugs are harmless to the
plants... I don't want to spray them again as I was sweating bullets
after doing it. Chemicals and CP never mix well in my experience.
Therefore, I'll just keep tabs on VFT growth and hope it all works out.
The VFTs are the only plants that the critters navigate around safely-
they're just too small to activate the trigger hairs. I think a dozen
of them could stand on a trigger hair without reaction from the trap.
My drosera adelae cluster caught a rather fishy (read: scale covered)
looking bug (about one eighth of an inch long) and for the first time
with this sundew I saw real tentacle action. Usually, adelae seem to
just hold the bug in place on the leaf with very little involvement of
tentacles "out of reach" of the food source... my experience anyhow.

  As for the Schultz insecticide's effect on my plants, the only plant
that had a negative reaction was a d. rotundifolia on one trap that the
mist fell on. The trap lost it's glue drops and many of the tentacles
folded to the center as if capturing an insect. The tentacles have
returned to their normal arrangement, but they're still dry. A new trap
opened today full of drops, so I think the plant's okay. The VFTs look
fine; trap growth and development continue normally.

To Dave Evans:

  Seems as though the "Mutt" Ping IS sending up another flower scape (As
you predicted several CP-Digests ago)! This will be the fifth flower
attempt by this plant, first since moving it into the Klima-gro. This
flower, unlike the others, seems to be emerging from the center of the
rosette- the others always sprouted out from the sides between leaves.
I hope the flower makes it this time. I'll keep everyone posted.

Cheers,
Paul

--
Paul V. McCullough