re: Pyrethrin on CP

From: NPLUMMER@hg-basic1mail.hg.med.umich.edu
Date: Fri Jun 06 1997 - 10:21:32 PDT

Date:          Fri, 6 Jun 1997 12:21:32 -0500
From: NPLUMMER@hg-basic1mail.hg.med.umich.edu
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject:       re: Pyrethrin on CP

>From: "Paul V. McCullough" <pvmcull@voicenet.com>
>To: "cp@opus.hpl.hp.com" <cp@opus.hpl.hp.com>
>Subject: Pyrethrin on CP pests
>
>Tonight, I discovered tiny black dots moving around the inside of one of
>my VFTs... I suppose they are mites? [...] I decided
>to hit them now in their earliest stages with a very light spray of
>Schultz's Indoor bug spray (made with botanical pyrethrin from Mums).
>The bottle stated that this spray would get rid of mites, red spiders,
>etc.
> Right before my eyes the little critters were going belly up! Now I
>just hope that my plants stay ok...
>Cheers,
>Paul

Hi Paul,

I get little black critters on my vfts, too. I think they are harmless scavengers.
They seem to congregate around any "ooze" that escapes from a trap that has caught
something too large Spider mites tend to be more of a problem in low humidity, but
I guess it's better to be safe than sorry. When in doubt, kill the horrid things
;-)

I have used the Schultz spray on a scale-infested Sarr. purp. venosa with no harm
done (but a baby Acacia that was accidentally sprayed, dropped all of its leaves).
For future reference, I'd be interested to hear how the VFT reacts.

cheers,
         Nick

Nicholas Plummer
nplummer@umich.edu