Re: Reverse Osmosis unit

From: Perry Malouf (pmalouf@access.digex.net)
Date: Fri Jun 06 1997 - 09:26:53 PDT

Date: Fri, 6 Jun 1997 12:26:53 -0400 (EDT)
From: Perry Malouf <pmalouf@access.digex.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Reverse Osmosis unit

Paul Burkhardt wrote:

> I am considering purchasing a RO unit to be installed in my kitchen. At
> Lowes, a 5-stage unit costs $197.

What is the capacity of this unit? 30 gallons per day?
I bought a 25 gallon per day unit from an outfit in
Florida that Tom Massey mentioned in a posting. It
cost about $150. If I had wanted, I could have obtained an
automatic shut-off for it as well.

It's not permanently mounted to the plumbing, although I
could easily arrange that. I hang it over the side of
our wash basin. The inlet port has an adapter that screws
onto the threaded faucet.

> ...I would like to know if it is worthwhile or not. Some
> water filter competitors claim that RO wastes water, about 2
> gallons for every gallon it produces.

The "waste water" doesn't have to be wasted. It can be collected
and used for other things where its mineral content isn't so
important.

> ...our tap is not to be trusted.

I'll bet that you could probably use your tap water 50%
of the time, as long as you alternate with RO water.
It's the salt buildup that is detrimental to the plants,
and it takes evaporation over time to build up the
salts. Flushing with RO water between tap water applications
should remove a lot of those salts.

There may be locations where the tap water is extraordinarily
bad, in which case you'd use it only once every 3rd or 4th watering.
I'm assuming your tap water is more toward the average.

Regards,

Perry Malouf