Re: Greenhouses

From: MCATALANI@aol.com
Date: Fri Oct 20 2000 - 08:20:01 PDT

Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 11:20:01 EDT
From: MCATALANI@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Greenhouses

In a message dated 10/19/00 9:37:34 PM Central Daylight Time,
cp@opus.labs.agilent.com writes:

<< Anyone have any suggestions for greenhouses?
  There are apparently different types of greenhouses out there. Some use
 glass, others use fiberglass or polycarbonate, while the cheaper ones use
 plastic film.
  Are there any good greenhouse dealers someone can recommend?
  ROn >>

I bought a sturdibuilt greenhouse years ago. It was redwood and glass, and
was 11feet by 14 feet. Very very nice, but expensive, and I immediately ran
out of room. I loved it, but was impractical for nepenthes. Glass and redwood
greenhouses are pricey, can be expensive to maintain (glass breakage), are
more difficult to install, and are more difficult to heat due to the number
of pieces of glass and the way they're installed. Most Nepenthes need
diffused light, so you would have to install some sort of diffuser or use the
whitewash paint on the glass, which looks outright ugly. I used it primarily
for sarracenia and vft's, and they did very well in it. My nepenthes houses
come from Jaderloon and are metal with film for the covering. They are so
much less expensive that a 22' x 45' fully equipped greenhouse costs less
than a small redwood and glass greenhouse with no equipment. Their sites are
www.sturdi-built.com and www.jaderloon.com, and I can highly recomend both
companies.
Michael Catalani