Re: Greenhouse, Seramis and Lecaton

From: Chris Teichreb (cteichreb@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Oct 20 2000 - 08:11:05 PDT

Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 08:11:05 PDT
From: "Chris Teichreb" <cteichreb@hotmail.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Greenhouse, Seramis and Lecaton

Hi Ron,

>Anyone have any suggestions for greenhouses?

   This somewhat depends on your location and your needs. If you
experience cold, windy winters, you'll probably want to go with
a more 'robust' greenhouse ie: glass or polycarbonate. If you're
in a warmer climate in an area protected by wind, you might just
use the plastic.

   Another big factor to consider is cost. Plastic and 2x4's are
considerably cheaper than the other options, but also offer the
least durability and protection from the elements. Glass is next,
but can be broken by falling tree limbs or other debris. The
dual paned polycarbonate structures offer the most protection, but
are also the most expensive. If you're considering heating and
you're in a cold climate, it'll pay off in the long run.

>In the June 2000 issue of the Carnivorous Plant Newletter, there is an
>interesting article on growing Nepenthes in inorganic substrate. Two of the
>ingredients were Seramis and Lecaton. I've never heard of these. Does
>anyone know where this can be obtained in the United States?

   Try hydroponic supply shops.

Good luck!

Chris

--