Climate and species questions

From: storkus@storkus.com
Date: Sun Jan 03 1999 - 23:21:53 PST

Date: Sun, 3 Jan 1999 23:21:53 -0800 (PST)
From: storkus@storkus.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Climate and species questions

  I've just bought my 7th (in my life) Venus Flytrap and I intend on making
sure it lives for a long time. However, I need some questions answered that
aren't clearly answered in the CP FAQ, mainly about temperature.
  I am in Reno, Nevada, an area on the border of high desert (to the east)
and high mountains (the Sierra Nevadas to the west). In the summer, temps
range from upper 80's to lower 90's during the hottest months (35 C or so),
though occasional hot snaps occur that can push the temperature to 100;
humidity in the summer extremely low during the day, sometimes falling to as
low as 10% during the hottest parts of the day (it goes back up at night to
as high as 40-50% during pre-dawn, though).
  In the winter, though, things are totally different. Temps (both lows and
highs) can vary wildly depending on weather patterns, though the norms are
supposed to be in the 40's (5-10 degrees C) during the day and lower 20's to
mid-upper teens at night (-5 to -10 C or so). However, as I said, this can
vary wildly, sometimes from day to day: one day you may have a high in the
60's and the next may not even get above freezing (this happened the week
before Christmas, for instance--remember the big Canadian arctic air mass
that decended and enveloped the whole continental U.S.?)
  So I guess my question is, what are the extremes that can be tolerated by
the VFT? (Especially low temps.)

  My second question is, there's apparently this man-eating (*grin*) sundew
that can span as much as a meter/yard across. My encyclopedia says it's
D. gigantia or something similar, but I can find no reference to it anywhere
on the 'net. What species is this giant sundew, can I get it, how hard is
it to cultivate, etc?

  Thanks for any and all help!

Mike

--
* Mike P. Storke, Owner, Linux consultant                      Web Hosting   *
* Storke's Technologies Hosting Services www.storkus.com       E-Mail Lists  *