Re: Hello!

From: Marc I. Burack (marcb@companionfinancial.com)
Date: Wed Nov 04 1998 - 05:40:26 PST

Date: Wed, 04 Nov 1998 08:40:26 -0500
From: "Marc I. Burack" <marcb@companionfinancial.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Hello!

At 03:32 PM 11/3/98 -0800, you wrote:
>I've been "lurking" for quite a while now, and I just wanted to introduce
>myself and say hello. My name is Lisa Chernela, and I was on this digest a
few
>years ago, but had to remove myself from the list due to e-mail changes and
>unavailability. I'm happy to say that I'm back for good.
>
>I live in New Jersey, and have been interested in carnivorous plants for many
>years. I have always wished that there was a local CP club in New Jersey-
>imagine the field trips to the Pine Barrens!
>
>Today I was in a few different garden centers-in one center I saw baskets of
>Nepenthes (I think coccinea, but I'm not 100% sure-I seem to remember that
>this is what the tag said). The baskets were about 8-10" wide, absolutely
>filled with plants over 10-12" high-no pitchers to be seen (only 1 or 2 dried
>ones at the tips). The price was $25.99, with 20% off. I didn't buy one,
>because I was unsure of the cultural requirements for this particular Nep.
>However, I may go back and buy one. I have never seen Neps sold this way in a
>garden center. The plants were huge! Any suggestions or comments regarding
>growing conditions, ease of growing, does anyone think that the plants may be
>mislabeled, etc.?
>
>I have enjoyed everyone's postings, and am learning a great deal. I love the
>book "The Savage Garden"; a wealth of information presented in a wonderful
>format-I read it almost daily!
>
>Lisa

Dear Lisa,

The plants you are referring to are also available here in South Florida.
They are generally all grown by the same lab, and in actuality are many
plant cuttings or points stuck in one pot. It appears to be one big
multi-point plant but there is usually a big surprise in the event it is
bare-rooted. By the way, even though I cannot see the plant you are
talking about, I would be willing to bet the farm that it IS N.coccinea.
Every nursery here in South Florida has the same dried up cocc. plant.

Be careful if you buy that plant. Nurseries generally do not pay attention
to the water req's with Nepenthes, and the dried pitchers are a good
indication that the plant is probably flirting with death (which is the
case with most carnivores in general nurseries.)

But hey...you can always give it a try.

Marc I. Burack
marcb@companionfinancial.com