Interesting answer on fixtures

From: Jose Gengler (jose.gengler@usa.net)
Date: Wed Apr 15 1998 - 16:01:24 PDT

Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 23:01:24 +0000
From: "Jose Gengler" <jose.gengler@usa.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Interesting answer on fixtures

Hi!

We recently got an answer to our fixture doubts by Haakan Murevaern
<murevarn@algonet.se>.

He lives in Sweden and his household electricity is 220V. He
identified our fluorescent "tube form" bulbs as ones that have their
ballasts "built in themselves". He says that he has a terrarium that
is fine sofar, and afterwards he adds that apperently there is no
problem as long as the terrarium is placed at the window, in a well
ventilated area.

As I understand now, one of the main reasons for using fluorescent
over incandescent bulbs is that the heat is mainly discipated by the
ballast, which can be placed out of the fixture. But as Haakan says,
in the case of these particular bulbs, the ballast is in the bulb
itself, and then, I think, it remains INSIDE the fixture. So now to
the question. I would like to ask if anyone else can also share
experience with these bulbs, since as I have little children, I will
place the terraium on a NONVENTILATED shelf, where it will remain
safe, and also still handy for manipulation. If these bulbs would
work it would be VERY good news, since their power consumption is
much less and no electrical work would have to be done in relation to
an additional ballast, minimizing the risk of all kinds of possible
accidants. Since the place is not ventilated, we are thinking about
adding 2 computer CPU fans per EACH fixture (that is one fan for each
bulb) thinking that this way we would possibly dissipate the heat of
each bulb. As I undesrstand, Barry's terrarium has only ONE fan
(certainly a little bigger than the CPU fan since it's the computer
"power supply" fan and not the little CPU fan) for the whole
terrarium, which in his case is iluminated by 4 bulbs of 3000 Lumens
each.

This is all theory, we haven't done the experiment. But it would be
extremly helpful if someone else also would share opinions.

Thankyou, and take care,
()* || () Jose Gengler
()= []=() osito@cmet.net
() || () jose.gengler@usa.net