Re: Question abouting sending money internationally

From: Phil Wilson (cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk)
Date: Sat Apr 04 1998 - 01:06:22 PST

Date: Sat, 4 Apr 1998 10:06:22 +0100
From: Phil Wilson <cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Question abouting sending money internationally

In message <19980403.145818.3806.0.Ricell@juno.com>, ricell@juno.com
writes
>Does anyone have any suggestions on how to send a small amount of money
>internationally? To get a check in a foreign currency from any of the
>banks around here involves a $8-25 service charge (more than the amount I
>need to send). I suspect cashing a check in a foreign currency involves
>a similar service charge at the other end. I previously sent cash,
>which appeared to have vaporized in transit and I would like to avoid
>this happening again. I'm wondering if IRC's are the way to go. Does
>anyone know how difficult it is to cash them in europe?
>
>Thanks
>
>Richard Ellis "ricell@juno.com"
>Boulder, CO

You could try sending travellers checks although I suspect you will have
to buy them in set amounts and then only in certain denominations.

Other than that does the US post office offer any secure or insured mail
service for sending valuables? You could use this to send cash and if it
dissapears en-route you might be able to claim you money back.
Personally I always send cash for small amounts when buying stuff
overseas as I'd rather stand the risk of losing the money than giving
large sums to the banks. BTW I've never lost any cash I've sent
overseas.

Regards,

--
Phil Wilson