Re: Question abouting sending money internationally

From: Juerg Steiger (juerg.steiger@iae.unibe.ch)
Date: Mon Apr 06 1998 - 02:02:50 PDT

Date: Mon, 06 Apr 1998 10:02:50 +0100
From: juerg.steiger@iae.unibe.ch (Juerg Steiger)
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Question abouting sending money internationally

>Does anyone have any suggestions on how to send a small amount of money
>internationally?

I have sent several hundred times smaller money sums to receivers abroad,
in most cases by 'PostCash international', for which the service charges
are considerably lower than the money transfer by banks. The money is
handed out to the receiver in cash.

If the receiver has a postcheque account you may also use 'PostGiro
international'. In this case the money is transferred to the postcheque
account of the receiver.

In both cases you may personally pay the sum in your post office, or - if
you have a postcheque account - you just fill out the official form and
send it to your postcheque account office. In both cases there were never
any troubles.

As the postcheque account interests are a little lower than the bank
account interests I deposit only a relatively small sum into my postal
account, just for international money transfers. But all in all this is
much cheaper, as the higher bank interests do by far not neutralize the
high bank service charges.

Hope this helps. Kind regards Juerg

Juerg Steiger M.D., Institute of Medical Education IAWF,
University of Bern, Faculty od Medicine, Inselspital 37a, CH-3010 Bern,
Switzerland. Phone: +41 (0)31 632 9887, Fax: +41 (0)31 632 9871