Re: Question abouting sending money internationally

From: Wim Leys (Wim.Leys@vlm.be)
Date: Mon Apr 06 1998 - 01:46:56 PDT

Date: Mon, 06 Apr 1998 10:46:56 +0200
From: Wim Leys <Wim.Leys@vlm.be>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Question abouting sending money internationally

 Dear Richard,

> Does anyone have any suggestions on how to send a small amount of
> money
> internationally? To get a check in a foreign currency from any of the
> banks around here involves a $8-25 service charge (more than the
> amount I
> need to send). ...

I'm having exactly the same problem. I still have to check how much
registered mail to Australia costs, so I can decide if I can relatively
safely and cheaply send cash.

> I'm wondering if IRC's are the way to go. Does
> anyone know how difficult it is to cash them in europe?

IRC's are International Reply Coupons. They can be bought in any post
office in your country, send to someone at the other side of the globe
where he/she can change the IRC in a number of stamps to post a standard
envelope via priority air mail back to you. Do check that you get enough
stamps back for priority air mail (and not surface mail) and make sure
the envelope the other person has to send back is a *standard* envelope
(certain people who read this will know why I stress these particular
things). So unless the other person is willing to receive a number of
stamps instead of real money, IRC's can not be used. If the small amount
you have to send is to pay for the post cost of let's say a price list
from a nursery, there are real handy.

Kind regards
Wim