Superthrive and Nepenthes-again

From: Richard Brown (esoft@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Sun Apr 05 1998 - 19:06:02 PDT

Date: Sun, 05 Apr 1998 21:06:02 -0500
From: Richard Brown <esoft@ix.netcom.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Superthrive and Nepenthes-again

>After a week of happily spraying and watering my Neps with my concoction, I noticed
that none of the >plants had grown or moved at all... A week ago, the tendrils on
all my Neps started growing very quickly. >I wonder though if it could just have been
El Nino?

There seems to be some misconceptions as to how Superthrive works. I
believe dr. cap's plants started growing pitchers suddenly not because
of Superthrive or El Nino, but because here in the Northern hemishere it
is Spring. Neps respond vigorously to increasing day length. Also,
don't overuse Superthrive or you may deplete the plants. It is not a
fertilizer. It is a vitamin. It works best at transplant time. I find
it benefits plants by boosting them to establish quicker after
repotting.

As for El Nino. Here in South Florida summer arrived early. I've had
three consecutive days of 90 degrees F in the plant house. Ouch! Time
to take off the plastic and put up the new shade cloth!

Until later,

Trent Meeks
Pompano Beach. Florida