VFTs and dormancy (or lack thereof)...

From: Danny Hammons (dannyh@onramp.net)
Date: Tue Jan 30 1996 - 14:43:03 PST

Date: Tue, 30 Jan 1996 16:43:03 -0600
From: Danny Hammons <dannyh@onramp.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: VFTs and dormancy (or lack thereof)...

Hello all,

My VFTs have spent the last two winters in the fridge, but I decided to let
them winter in the greenhouse this year. I'm concerned that they are not
quite dormant. While the temperature has dipped into the twenties at
night, the days have been fairly warm. (This week we're in the 60's.)
Needless to say, it's about 70 in the greenhouse. All of my plants (s.
purpurea, alata, leucophylla, minor, psittacina, hybrid, and the various
droseras) have gone into normal dormancy. The VFTs have lost about half of
their leaves and have stopped growing......however, the leaves that remain
are just about as perfect as they could be....bright red inside the traps,
etc. And, they leaves are still feeding. I was in the greenhouse this
morning and witnessed two flies being captured by the VFTs. I'm afraid
this up/down temperature cycle isn't allowing the VFTs to go dormant and
stay dormant. Any comments or suggestions? I'm getting concerned that the
VFTs aren't going to get enough rest this winter....as it's only three
months from their normal spring awakening (here in Dallas.)

Thanks for any suggestions/comments,

Danny Hammons