RE: VFTs and dormancy (or lack thereof)...

From: Mellard, David (dam7@cdc.gov)
Date: Wed Dec 31 1997 - 06:49:00 PST

Date: Wed, 31 Dec 1997 09:49:00 -0500
From: "Mellard, David" <dam7@cdc.gov>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: VFTs and dormancy (or lack thereof)...

>From: Danny Hammons

> I decided to let them [VFT} winter in the greenhouse this year. I'm
concerned that >they are not quite dormant. While the temperature has
dipped into the twenties at
>night, the days have been fairly warm. (This week we're in the 60's.)
>Needless to say, it's about 70 in the greenhouse. All of my plants (s.
>purpurea, alata, leucophylla, minor, psittacina, hybrid, and the
various
>droseras) have gone into normal dormancy. The VFTs have lost about
half of
>their leaves and have stopped growing......however, the leaves that
remain
>are just about as perfect as they could be....bright red inside the
traps,
etc.

I'm no VFT expert but there may be a couple of clues that your VFT's are
in dormancy. They will stop producing new leaves. If that's the case,
then they are probably in dormancy in your situation. Your temperature
fluctuations aren't as drastic as you might think. VFTs grow along the
coast of NC and SC, a very mild climate and it not unusual to have days
in the 50 and 60s in winter. As long as they are getting down to the
40's or low 50's, you're ok. You can give them less light also and that
will help to induce dormancy.

David