re: S. purpurea purpurea stolonifera

From: Wim Leys (Wim.Leys@vlm.be)
Date: Fri Nov 28 1997 - 00:46:17 PST

Date: Fri, 28 Nov 1997 09:46:17 +0100
From: Wim Leys <Wim.Leys@vlm.be>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: re: S. purpurea purpurea stolonifera

Dear Barry,

> This is one of those forms of S. purpurea subsp. purpurea that some folks
> thought was significantly different at some level, but then other
> researchers concluded the differences were really insignificant or a
> result of plants growing in a slightly different from usual environment. I
> recall there also being plants name "terra novae" and "riplicola."

If memory serves, I vaguely remember something about its origin located
in Canada or Alaska (are there any Sarracenia's in Alaska ?).

> > probably due to the fact that is was kept in the same small pot for too
> > long, now that it was transplanted in a 5 litres pot it doubled in size
> > during one growing season.
>
> ...Or your experience could be a demonstration that the "stoloniferous"
> variety reverts to normal form when grown in standard conditions.

I have transplanted S. purpurea purpurea's and S. purpurea venosa's in
the same 5 litres pots at the same time; they have grown well, but they
did not reach such a size. This plant really is something spectacular.

> What do you think? Does it really seem to be "stoloniferous" or is it just
> a large and vigorous clone?

I have looked for "stolon*" in my dictionary but could not find it. Can
you explain what it means ?

It is in any way "large and vigorous" but it is not a clone as it was
raised from seed.

Kind regards
Wim