S. purpurea purpurea stolonifera

From: Barry Meyers-Rice (bamrice@ucdavis.edu)
Date: Wed Nov 26 1997 - 17:11:57 PST

Date: Wed, 26 Nov 1997 17:11:57 -0800 (PST)
From: Barry Meyers-Rice <bamrice@ucdavis.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: S. purpurea purpurea stolonifera

> About seven years ago I have received and sown S. purpurea purpurea
> stolonifera seeds from the UK CPS.
> I was told that it is a plant that generates pitchers the size of a S.
> flava, but flat to the ground, meaning that after a number of years you
> end up having a plant with a diameter of more than 1.50 meter. The plant
> has flowered and now measures about 50 cm in diameter. The small size is

This is one of those forms of S. purpurea subsp. purpurea that some folks
thought was significantly different at some level, but then other
researchers concluded the differences were really insignificant or a
result of plants growing in a slightly different from usual environment. I
recall there also being plants name "terra novae" and "riplicola."

> probably due to the fact that is was kept in the same small pot for too
> long, now that it was transplanted in a 5 litres pot it doubled in size
> during one growing season.

...Or your experience could be a demonstration that the "stoloniferous"
variety reverts to normal form when grown in standard conditions.

What do you think? Does it really seem to be "stoloniferous" or is it just
a large and vigorous clone?

Cheers

Barry