RE: S. purpurea purpurea stolonifera

From: MARK POGANY (MARKP@CRSCMS.COM)
Date: Wed Nov 26 1997 - 17:15:56 PST

Date: Wed, 26 Nov 1997 20:15:56 -0500
From: MARK POGANY <MARKP@CRSCMS.COM>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: S. purpurea purpurea stolonifera

In CP digest 1278 Wim Leys wrote:

About seven years ago I have received and sown S. purpurea purpurea
stolonifera seeds from the UK CPS.

I was told that it is a plant that generates pitchers the size of a S.
flava, but flat to the ground, meaning that after a number of years you
end up having a plant with a diameter of more than 1.50 meter. The plant
has flowered and now measures about 50 cm in diameter

This entry made my eyebrows go up and down when I read it! I've never
heard of such a subspecies but it made me think back to an experience I
had while attending college in 1989:

I visited a local CP enthusiast after getting his name and phone number
from The Glasshouse Works in Stewert, Ohio. Inside his living room sat a
large 55 gallon aquarium tank with grow lights. Inside was an S.
Purpurea of enormous dimensions. Each pitcher was the size of an NFL
football. The total diameter of the plant was almost 2 feet! From what I
remember the growth was largely prostrate, with the bottoms of the
pitchers sitting on the sphagnum. To this day, even on trips to local
bogs, I have never encountered such a huge speciman!

I'm wondering if that plant was an example of S. purpurea purpurea
stolonifera!

Mark Pogany
markp@crscms.com

(P.S.- I have some purpureas that have been growing for years in very
large pots and have never had the pleasure of seeing this pitcher size
develope. The plants just send up new growth crowns but without
producing "monster traps".)