Re: D.paradoxa

From: ss66428 (ss66428@hongo.ecc.u-tokyo.ac.jp)
Date: Thu Nov 27 1997 - 22:28:12 PST

Date: Fri, 28 Nov 1997 15:28:12 +0900
From: ss66428 <ss66428@hongo.ecc.u-tokyo.ac.jp>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: D.paradoxa

To Loyd and others interested in Drosera taxonomy,

        The growth cycle of this new species is not so clear to me either. By
what I understood, it grows in areas which are usually under fast-moving water
during the wet season, like stream beds. Thus it flowers later than the other
petiolaris-complex species, when the waters have gone down already.
        Exceptional rains can occasionally wash away all the D.paradoxa at a
given location, and the population has to start again from seeds. The
seedling swarms found by Allen in places where he had seen mature D.paradoxa
the previous season led him to believe for a while that it was an annual
species.
        When allowed to grow for several seasons in a row (that is, when floods
don't wash away the mature plants), D.paradoxa forms the long stems which were
what led Allen to call it D.sp.aff.teiolaris "erect" for many years.
Unfortunately I don't have the paper here with me, but I think Allen mentioned
that these stems may reach 80cm in length.
        Other differences I remember is that D.petiolaris has wider petioles
(6-8mm? - at the center) than D.paradoxa (2-4mm?) and that the latter may have
inflorescences with as many as 40 or more flowers each.

All the Best,

Fernando Rivadavia
Tokyo, Japan

P.S. How are the Utrics and Genlisea doing Loyd?