Re: Pinguicula Pico de Orizaba

From: Andre Cleghorn (andre@alphalink.com.au)
Date: Thu Nov 27 1997 - 18:07:30 PST

Date: Fri, 28 Nov 1997 13:07:30 +1100
From: Andre Cleghorn <andre@alphalink.com.au>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Pinguicula Pico de Orizaba

wish to mention the history of this plant and how I grow it.

The seed was collected by Dr. Alfred Lau, a missionary, botanist and
plant collector who lived for many years in Mexico. Dr Lau discovered
this plant growing near the summit of Mt. Orizaba which is very near
where he lived.
The plant was a new species so he identified it by where he found it.

P. Pico de Orizaba is a very large growing plant often about 20 cm
diameter. It is unusual in that it rarely grows from leaf cuttings and
does not divide until the plants become very large. It grows well in
pure sphagnum moss if kept sufficiently moist or in a layer of 2-3 cm of
sphagnum moss over a mixture of 1:1 peat moss and sand with the pot
sitting in a tray containing 1-2 cm of water. In low light the plants
are at there largest and pale green while in high light the plants are
smaller but are pink/red in colour. The flowers are on stems about 20 cm
long and usually very dark purple although a bright pink form has been
found.

As well as P. Pico de Orizaba, Dr Lau has sent me seed of a number of
other new species of Pinguiculas he discovered while he explored remote
parts of Mexico and the neighbouring countries. He intended to formally
describe and name all of these species but I have not heard what has
happened since he left Mexico.

Some of the other Pinguiculas he collected are Ayautla, Laueana, Santa
Maria Yucuhiti, Sierra Obscura Chihuahua and Synalta.
Most of these plants are much smaller than Pico de Orizaba and a little
more difficult to grow.

Andre Cleghorn
Flora Laboratories
andre@alphalink.com.au