re: Variety within Sarracenia species

From: Andrew Bernuetz (andrewb@camden.usyd.edu.au)
Date: Thu Nov 27 1997 - 17:47:35 PST

Date: Fri, 28 Nov 1997 12:47:35 +1100
From: Andrew Bernuetz <andrewb@camden.usyd.edu.au>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: re: Variety within Sarracenia species

Niels wrote:

>I have noticed that within the Sarracenia genus there is a long list of =
>different forms within the same species. Phil Wilsons long list of seeds =
>from different Sarracenia forms that was posted to this list recently, =
>illustrates that point. Is the Sarracenia genus special in this way?

>Is S. purpurea purpurea stolonifera just a form of S. purpurea purpurea? =
>Are there populations of S. purpurea purpurea stolonifera in the wild?

>Perhaps these are stupid questions, but I would like to get wiser then.

Dear Niels and others,

Virtually all species consist of a population of individuals which exhibit
at least some genetic differences. Due to isolation, mutation, breeding
barriers, and other factors small populations may develop which are
(overall) quite distinct from other populations. This is where the idea of
a species gets a bit difficult to define (I'm no expert, but this is a
simplified version of what I have been told by a botanist). Is one
population different enough from another to be classified as a subspecies,
form, variety or what ever, is it a new species or is it just natural
variation? I guess this 'fuzziness' is one of the reasons why botanists are
always reclassifying things. Most people tend to think that a species is a
set and defined unit, but it isn't. Someone else will have to answer the
question as to if the 'stolonifera' is found in the wild.

Hope this helps out somewhat.

Andrew Bernuetz
andrewb@camden.usyd.edu.au