Re: D.paradoxa

From: ss66428 (ss66428@hongo.ecc.u-tokyo.ac.jp)
Date: Mon Dec 01 1997 - 19:38:26 PST

Date: Tue, 02 Dec 1997 12:38:26 +0900
From: ss66428 <ss66428@hongo.ecc.u-tokyo.ac.jp>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: D.paradoxa

Dear Loyd,

>I can visualise them now, rosettes bobbing about on the
          surface of the stream anchored to the stream bed by their
          long fine stems! I would love to see a photo of that.

        This wasn't what I understood from the paper. Nowhere was it mentioned
that rosettes bobbed on the surfaced of the water. This could be the case, but
I had imagined that the plants are completely submerged for only a few weeks
during the height of the wet season or maybe just during strong rains. You're
right about the stems going prostrate though, especially if rains keep knocking
it down every year. I do remember Allen telling me though that the tallest
specimens he found were growing up through bushes, using it for support. I
don't know, it is really confusing. I guess we'll have to wait for an article
by Allen in CPN!

>So far I havn't seen flowers on my plants.

        The flowers I saw in the wild were white, but I think it can also be
pink (I don't have the paper here with me at the moment). He does mention an
orange-flowered form which he suspects may be a new taxon and which needs
further studies.

Best Wishes,

Fernando Rivadavia
Tokyo (actually at Nagoya for the week), Japan