Nepenthes 'Holland Hybrid'

From: Derek Glidden (dglidden@illusionary.com)
Date: Mon Dec 01 1997 - 14:19:27 PST

Date: Mon, 1 Dec 1997 17:19:27 -0500 (EST)
From: Derek Glidden <dglidden@illusionary.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Nepenthes 'Holland Hybrid'

Jan wrote:

> > I have a Nepenthes called * 'Holland Hybrid.' Anyone know who the
> > parents of this plant are?

> N: [Nepenthes * ' Joanne Holland ' {J.T.Robinson}]
> P: Carniv.Pl.Newsl.18:120 (1989)
> S: =[[Nepenthes glabrata {Turnbull & Middleton}] * [Nepenthes
> veitchii {Hook.f.}]]
> B: T.GIBSON
>
> Is it this one?

I checked the CP db and found this entry, but the plant sure doesn't look
vaguely like either of those parents. I bought it from Bruce Bednar a few
months ago, and considering the "cultivar-ish" name of 'Holland Hybrid'
and size of the plant, I'm guessing it came from cuttings. I don't have
access to a whole lot of CP references, so I don't know if it's been
published someplace any time recently, and I believe I should trust Bruce
on naming his Nepenthes properly.

The plant is only about 12" across or so and has generated about 5-6
pitchers so far, the largest of which has been about 4" or so. The
pitchers are a deep red on the outside with deeper red spots. The inside
is very smooth-looking, very pale pink to white. The peristome is thin
and deep red and not very angled to the top of the pitcher, and the lid is
oval to heart-shaped, none of which sound at all like N.veitchii as I know
it.

If I had to make a wild guess with my meager Nepenthes familiarity, I'd
say, based on pitcher appearance, that it probably has N.sanguinea or
N.reinwardtiana in it, but what else, I don't know.

I could probably very easily figure it out by contacting Bruce, but since
he doesn't do EMail, I was hoping someone else here might know before
having to resort to "old fashioned" means of communication. :)

Derek Glidden http://www.illusionary.com
Illusionary.com Home of the Pagan Resource Site
   Web development, database, graphics and general plumbing
Linux, FreeBSD, Apache, MySQL, PostgreSQL, PHP (Say No to NT!)