Seed Storage

From: Russell Elliott (elliott@nexus.edu.au)
Date: Thu Nov 27 1997 - 04:10:08 PST

Date: Thu, 27 Nov 1997 22:40:08 +1030 (CST)
From: elliott@nexus.edu.au (Russell Elliott)
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Seed Storage

Hi everyone,

 I've been following the thread on seed storage for a while now, and thought
I might add my 2 cents worth. From what I have heard and believe, seed
should not be frozen, nor kept moist in storage. When you buy a packet of
seeds from a nursery you will always find the seed in airtight foil bags.
This is to keep the seed as fresh and as dry as possible. It is important to
remember that cp seed, along with all other seed is alive, and is respiring
all of the time. This process is boosted if moisture is present, and the
seed is being kept warm. Obviously, this isn't a good situation as the seed
will also be aging rapidly, and will become unviable (dead) within a short
period of time.

 When storing seed ensure that it is kept dry, and in an airtight container.
The ACPS seed is stored in airtight jars with rubber seals, or paper packets
which are then placed into ziplock plastic bags. These are placed into
plastic 5"1/4 inch disk boxes, and put in the refridgerator. The temprature
is kept between 3 - 5 degrees.

 The only time seed should be kept in damp storage is when it is being
stratified. Seed such as Sarracenia will still germinate after 12 months of
this treatment (as I accidently found out!!).

 I hope people find this interesting, and feel free to drop me a line :-)

        -Russell

! Russell Elliott, Seed Bank Director, !
! Australian Carnivorous Plant Society. !
! Sorry, due to limited stocks, seed only available to members. !
! mailto:elliott@nexus.edu.au !
! Please Direct membership enquiries to Brian Denton at: !
! mailto:bdenton@camtech.net.au !
! ACPS Home Page: http://www.camtech.net.au/acps !