Re: Seed Storage

From: Perry Malouf (pmalouf@access.digex.net)
Date: Mon Nov 24 1997 - 11:57:04 PST

Date: Mon, 24 Nov 1997 14:57:04 -0500 (EST)
From: Perry Malouf <pmalouf@access.digex.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Seed Storage

TheEdge@amdyne.net wrote:

> What is the best way to store CP seeds? If it is refrigeration, can
> Nepenthes and other tropical CP seeds be refrigerated, and at what
> temperature?

Nepenthes seed can be kept viable for quite some time if they are
refrigerated (_not_ frozen!). But it is important to not allow
the seed to become dessicated. Pack the seeds in a paper envelope
and put the envelope in a glass jar with a screw-on lid. Also put in
a damp piece of paper towel, and then screw the lid on tight. The
damp paper towel will provide enough moisture so the seeds won't
dry out, but not enough moisture to wet the seeds and cause them
to get moldy.

I'm not completely sure, but I don't think it's necessary to refrigerate
Sarracenia seeds if you're going to keep them for one season. Better
let someone else answer this one in more detail, though.

Regards,

Perry Malouf