Ants in my plants

From: m harrison (m.harrison@hzg.sc.philips.com)
Date: Sat May 24 1997 - 08:49:28 PDT

Date: Sat, 24 May 1997 16:49:28 +0100
From: m.harrison@hzg.sc.philips.com (m harrison)
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Ants in my plants

Hello CP people,
        This is the first time I've posted any E-mail on any list. If
this works then, if anyone is interested, I may introduce myself
properly.
        Here's my question. My greenhouse is being invaded with ants
and I'm not sure who benefits the most; the plants or the ants. The
ants obviously are after the sugary fluid but the plants are making a
killing. The Sarrencenia especially are filling up with ant bodies and
the smaller VTP's have many traps shut. Is there any chance the ants
could introduce unwanted pests or diseases ? Should I watch nature
take its course or use chemical warfare on the ants ?

Cheerio, Mark Harrison, Lancs., UK