Re: Ants in my plants

From: Russell Elliott (relliott@geocities.com)
Date: Sun May 25 1997 - 11:17:18 PDT

Date: Sun, 25 May 1997 11:17:18 -0700
From: Russell Elliott <relliott@geocities.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Ants in my plants

m harrison wrote:

> Postage paid by: [Image]
>
> Here's my question. My greenhouse is being invaded with ants
> and I'm not sure who benefits the most; the plants or the ants. The
> ants obviously are after the sugary fluid but the plants are making a
> killing. The Sarrencenia especially are filling up with ant bodies and
> the smaller VTP's have many traps shut. Is there any chance the ants
> could introduce unwanted pests or diseases ? Should I watch nature
> take its course or use chemical warfare on the ants ?

 Mark,

 The only reason I would be worried is if the ants are carrying aphids
and mealy bugs around your greenhouse. I have also had ants invade
my greenhouse, but I didn't notice any great population explosion
of either of those two pests.

 Leave nature to take its course, but if you start noticing lots of
sooty
mould from the substance produced by these two pests I would think about
spraying. Ants tend to carry them around to make sure they obtain a
steady supply of honeydew.

Hope this helps,

        -Russell

--
! Russell Elliott, Seed Bank Director,                          !