Pitcher Plants in Alabama

From: Brian Cooley (cooley@golden.adams.net)
Date: Sat May 24 1997 - 10:44:53 PDT

Date: Sat, 24 May 1997 12:44:53 -0500
From: Brian Cooley <cooley@golden.adams.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Pitcher Plants in Alabama

Does anyone know if there are pitcher plants in Alabama?

My company owns an electronics division. One of the plants is in
Huntsville, Alabama. Each division had to give a little talk about what
we are doing within the company that is good for the environment. This
was a corporate environmental conference. The site coordinator for
Huntsville said that there were a few bogs on company property.

There were pitcher plants in these bogs and that brush was crowding them
out. So in coordination with the state, they are using controlled burns
to kill the brush and allow the pitcher plants to reseed. However, when
I asked him if they were carniverous plants he didn't think so but
admitted that he had never seen one. I couldn't think of any other
genus of plant that would be called pitcher plants though!

Can anyone help me clear this up?

FYI

Also the corporation donated several acres of wetlands and bogs to the
Nature Conservancy two years ago. Some of the properties have some
healthy cp populations.