Re: Nepenthes: addictive fluid in pitchers

Pekka Ala-Siuru (pal@tko.vtt.fi)
Wed, 20 Sep 1995 09:56:19 +0300 (EET DST)

On Tue, 19 Sep 1995, Michael.Chamberland wrote:

WUUUUAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! Michael and Steven write these to CPNewsletter
so the whole community could be warned!!!!
(:=
..Pekka (Nepenthes addict)

> > In addition, it is rumored that you can actually
> > smoke Nepenthes pitchers. To do this, simply
> > place flammable liquid, such as lighter fluid,
> > in an empty pitcher, ignite the fluid, and then
> > put a metal straw into the pitcher opening so
> > you can take drags on the fumes. I am not recommending
> > anybody do this, as it is considered highly dangerous
> > and illegal. But, the fact is, where Nepenthes go...
> > trouble follows.
>

> Yes! Yes! Oh, thank you! I have finally found a support group to
> help me cope with this terrible addiction! It all began so innocently...
>
> Once I was a happy carnivorous plant collector with a fine assortment
> of Nepenthes. Then one day a dreadful person mentioned, in passing,
> that Nepenthes could be smoked, with "interesting" effects. Woe be
> that I listened to him! At first I payed no mind to the comment, but
> eventually the curiosity got the better of me. Alas, I gingerly lit up
> an old and browning pitcher from a spare N. alata. The effect was
> electrifying! I was hooked! Soon I had used up all my N. alata. To make
> matters worse, I found that the common species and hybrids would loose
> their punch after some use. I found that more exotic and valuable species
> were necessary to spare me the withdraw! In panic, I rushed to propagate
> my Nepenthes stock... they crowded the other CP out of the greenhouse.
> My home slowly filled with rack upon rack of fluorescent lamps, the
> fixtures swinging manically on their chains as I scurried about ministering
> my addicting harvest... always with an evil smoldering Nepenthes pitcher
> drooping from my lips. The wife left. The kids left. The dog left. The
> goldfish jumped from its bowl.
> Despite my efforts, consumption exceeded supply. You cannot imagine the
> pitiful sight of a broken man kneeling in a soil-befouled house, ablaze with
> grow-lux lamps hung over rows of empty pots. There I was, crouched over my
> last Nepenthes rajah, down to the last leaf, praying, exhaling over the
> precious plant, drippling Superthrive into the pot, begging for the last
> pitcher to expand and open!
>
> And now you all have been warned! Just say "No" to Nepenthes!

> Michael

Pekka Ala-Siuru
Senior Analyst, Embedded Knowledge-Based Systems
VTT Electronics, P.O.Box 1100, FIN-90571, Oulu,Finland
Tel. +358 81 551 2461, Telefax +358 81 551 2320
http://www.ele.vtt.fi/