Re: ammonia odor...

From: Philip Semanchuk (mrbones@mindspring.com)
Date: Sun May 14 2000 - 07:28:37 PDT

Date: Sun, 14 May 2000 10:28:37 -0400
From: "Philip Semanchuk" <mrbones@mindspring.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: ammonia odor...

>Lately I've noticed an ammonia odor in my mini-greenhouse- sort of like
>a catbox urine smell. Anyone else ever notice this in their plantings?
>Any remedies? The only thing different is the blooming of one of my
>sarr purpurea flowers- but when I smelled it, I didn't notice this odor

S. flava flowers produce a smell that books often refer to as "a feline
odor". The words "cat piss" are apparently too vulgar for print. : ) Maybe
your Sarracenia is a hybrid?

Another source of ammonia smell is high nitrogen compost (like a pile of
decaying grass clippings) but I guess you probably don't have a compost pile
in your terrarium.

Philip
URL du jour: http://www.tvfa.org/