Laterite and N. merrilliana

From: Michael Feddersen (bd670@scn.org)
Date: Sun May 14 2000 - 13:31:55 PDT

Date: Sun, 14 May 2000 13:31:55 -0700 (PDT)
From: Michael Feddersen <bd670@scn.org>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Laterite and N. merrilliana

Chris, Bruce,
I have been doing some experiments with laterite and have had excellent
results. For the N. merrilliana's I have several grown from seed that are
in a mix of peat,bark,pumice. These tend to do poorly over time showing
the signs of leaves blotching and yellowing. Eventually dying.
Now I put some in a mix of pumice and laterite with a little hydroton to
aerate and they all grow better. The leaves are dark red and leathery.
The plants trap up nice and best of all they keep getting better not
yellow out and die.
I also had some of the N. merrilliana seed sprout up better in laterite
than milled sphagnum. The seedling sent down deep roots.
I have also N. rajah, burbidgea, lamnii, belli, deaniana, and some
clipeata crosses doing exceptionally well in the mix.
I wish I would of known about this before and not wasted so much potting
up using sphagnum or corse peat moss in the mix.
Once you see them growing in the rusty red soil you'll understand why.
Truly,
Tom Kahl/Nepenthes Club
P.S. I'll try and post some photos of samples I discusses this summer
on my photo album at photopoint.com. I'll announce when I do.