FW: N. rajah growing rate?

From: Malouf, Perry (Perry.Malouf@jhuapl.edu)
Date: Tue Dec 07 1999 - 05:26:19 PST

Date: Tue, 7 Dec 1999 08:26:19 -0500
From: "Malouf, Perry" <Perry.Malouf@jhuapl.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: FW: N. rajah growing rate?

Joachim Danz wrote:

>... I purchased a small N. rajah....it has grown very slow
> with about one new leave every six to eight weeks.
> by this rate it will take about 3 more years to reach a diameter of
> 10cm...
> Can anyone on the list tell me if this grow rate is normal for a
> N. rajah?

N. rajah, N. villosa, N. tentaculata, and a few other highland
species are a pain in the neck to grow from seeds because they
do grow so slowly--at first. If you can nurse them along beyond a
certain point, they start to grow a bit faster in the proper growing
conditions. I've seen this happen after about 1.5 - 2 years when
the plants reach about 6 cm or so.

One person on this list, Dr. Jeff Shafer, has had some of the best
results I've heard of for growing these frustrating species. Perhaps
he can comment. No one else I know of has been able to push these
plants along at a faster rate.

Regards,

Perry Malouf