Hydroponics for CP

From: Owen Priddle (owen_prid@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Nov 16 1999 - 22:30:44 PST

Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 22:30:44 -0800 (PST)
From: Owen Priddle <owen_prid@yahoo.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Hydroponics for CP

Hi everybody-

I have been wondering lately if it does not make a lot
more sense to grow houseplants (not just CP)
hydroponically.

I work in a government soil sciences lab, and true
soil is an incredibly intricate network or biological
processes, almost none of which can be reproduced in
culture. Organic components like peat, when not part
of a living soil, simply act as nutrient sumps and
provide no real value to the plant except moisture
storage and pH.

So why not just give up on our lame use of "soil-like"
mediums, and meet the plants' needs through purely
artificial means (ie. hydroponics)? I have seen many
hydro gardens and their plants are almost invariably
SPECTACULAR as compared to potted plants.

So... I am willing and able to experiment on some of
my plants, but I lack the necessarry info and skills
as to what sort of chemical conditions (pH and
fertilizer) the plants would need, and how to provide
them.
If anyone would like to help me work out a set of
parameters and procedures I would be most grateful,
and will of course share any results with the list.

Thanks-

-Owen

=====