re: Freeze Dried Insects for CP feeding?

From: Owen Priddle (owen_prid@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Nov 16 1999 - 21:15:44 PST

Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 21:15:44 -0800 (PST)
From: Owen Priddle <owen_prid@yahoo.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: re: Freeze Dried Insects for CP feeding?

Hi Matt-

I have successfully used the freeze-dried flies
("VitaFlys" from TetraFauna) on Heliamphoras and
Nepenthes with great results. They seem to be "more
digestable" to the plants than crickets, which tend to
rot out the pitchers sometimes.

I would NOT recommend their use for any type of plants
besides pitchers though (you grow mostly sundews,
right?). I tried them on both Drosera and Byblis and
they just sat and eventually moldered. Perhaps if you
soaked them first...?

In any case, go for it. At worst they will be
worthless, but they have never hurt any of my plants.

Good growing-

-Owen

=====