Killing weevils

From: Barry Meyers-Rice (bamrice@ucdavis.edu)
Date: Tue Nov 16 1999 - 11:58:42 PST

Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 11:58:42 -0800 (PST)
From: Barry Meyers-Rice <bamrice@ucdavis.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Killing weevils

>>The short of it is that she recommends manual removal of the bugs, and
>>not biocontrol or pesticides.

>Fraid its a bit difficult when the little buggers have eaten the roots of
>a Sarracenia and have burrowed into the rhizome. Is there a reason for
>the non reccomendation of pesticides or is this person going thru the
>'I'm a hippy and I luv the earth' phase <grin> A practical solution to
>vine weevil / grub infestation would be most welcome and would probably
>earn that particular student grateful thanks (as well as a job) in later
>life. As a pointer , I think any solution that involves nukes MIGHT just
>work.

Puh-lease! My name will be on this paper too---I'm trying to get you
reasoned control information---not biased, bad advice.

As you pointed out, the grubs can dig deeply into the rhizome. This very
geometry that makes manual control difficult *also* makes chemical control
difficult. A simple chemical drench tends not to seep into those little
nooks and crannies. If you have consistent problems with this pest, a
soil-incorporate might be a good approach. In any event, appropriate
chemicals might be Orthene or Dursban. I do not have suggestions for a
systemic herbicide. (Note I do not have a license to give recommendations,
and local laws on use may apply).

<caveat>I do not know how these compounds may affect your beloved
Sarracenia</caveat>

Barry

Dr. Barry A. Meyers-Rice
Carnivorous Plant Newsletter