D. intermedia in South Carolina

From: Mellard, David (dam7@cdc.gov)
Date: Tue Nov 16 1999 - 11:37:01 PST

Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 14:37:01 -0500
From: "Mellard, David" <dam7@cdc.gov>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: D. intermedia in South Carolina

Over the weekend, I visited one of my favorite D. intermedia sites outside
of Summerville, South Carolina. This is a swampy area where D. intermedia
grows along the swamp's edge in waterlogged conditions while D. capillaris
is found just a foot or so further away in slightly drier (but still damp)
conditions.

A while back, I asked the list if they knew whether the D. intermedia from
South Carolina are the temperate form or the tropical form (my notation
here, so I'm bound to hear from the taxonomists on the list -- and that's a
good thing.) My assumption here is that the tropical form cannot form
winter buds. I did not find many but the ones I found had formed their
winter bud so the D. intermedia at least in SC area must be the temperate
form.

D. capillaris were hard to find. I usually find them in great numbers in
the electrical right of ways. There were very few. The ones I did find
were on the small side except for 1 location where 2 or 3 in a group of 6
were as large as the ones I see in summer.

Fernando, I collected a few capillaris for your studies. Some are in
alcohol while others are being dried. Will send them in a few weeks.

David
Atlanta