RE: Benomyl Health Hazards / Regular use of chemicals on new plants

From: Tom Massey (massey@fmhi.usf.edu)
Date: Mon Nov 15 1999 - 13:44:35 PST

Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 16:44:35 -0500
From: Tom Massey <massey@fmhi.usf.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: Benomyl Health Hazards / Regular use of chemicals on new plants

Well, FWIW, IMHO etc. you would probably be better off just following label
directions.

A few of the products include a mix concentration for a soil drench, but
most use a concentration of from a teaspoon to tablespoon per gallon as a
foliar spray. Never say never --but I know of no insecticide/fungicide
that includes a concentration intended for submerging plants. ---- I will
pause here for all the more experienced growers who have seen just such a
set of instructions to warm up their keyboards. ---

As for health concerns, someone just posted the site that lists
insecticides/pesticides/ and their potential health effects. Perhaps
someone could repost it for those who missed it. I have found it helpful.
 Otherwise, the local news just reported previously unreleased side effects
from airborne spraying of malathion around central Florida. The spraying
was to control a medfly threatening the orange crops. Most common health
concerns were associated with breathing difficulties in asthma and allergy
sufferers.

Tom in Fl.