VFT Dormancy

From: Paul McCullough (paulmcc@home.com)
Date: Mon Nov 15 1999 - 13:42:20 PST

Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 16:42:20 -0500
From: Paul McCullough <paulmcc@home.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: VFT Dormancy

Ray,

    Actually, my Sarr. Purpurea go dormant automatically every fall in
the Klimagro- I said in the previous post that this makes me wonder if
this variety really does need cold temps to go dormant. It's been like
this for two years now- September all growth stops; Feb/ March all
growth resumes. Drosera rotundifolia DEFINITELY need cold storage to
come back in the spring. If you want a sundew that's almost identical
(and prettier, imho) that doesn't require winter hibernation, go with
drosera capillaris.

    As to my VFTs in the Klimagro, these also stop for the most part-
but I'm convinced to get VFTs to their healthiest, it's best to put them
in cold storage. After 3 years, I haven't lost a single VFT to year
round life in the KG1000- in fact, my VFT are very robust- but the
knowledge base out there would seem to indicate that I'm just
extraordinarily lucky. Or VFTs just really love Klimagros!

    Right now my VFTs have the winter leaves- big heart shaped petioles
and small traps. If I were to do a new Klimagro (Or on the next soil
change in two years) setup, I'd probably put soil in the deep side and
keep tropical CP there and leave the other side soiless and put potted
temperate CP there that could be moved to cold storage. Ray, I think
you're doing the right thing. Good luck!

Cheers,
Paul

--

My New Webpage URLs: -------------------- 3D Animation World: http://members.home.net/paulmcc Carnivorous Plant Page: http://members.home.net/paulmcc/carniv.htm Movie Reviews: http://members.home.net/paulmcc/movies.htm