When is a leaf not a leaf?

From: Tim Malcolm (malcol01@camosun.bc.ca)
Date: Sat Oct 16 1999 - 15:04:37 PDT

Date: Sat, 16 Oct 1999 15:04:37 -0700 (PDT)
From: Tim Malcolm <malcol01@camosun.bc.ca>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: When is a leaf not a leaf?

I'm would be interested to know why so many people are reluctant to refer
to the "leaves" of utric species as leaves. Taylor mentions in
passing that they might not be considered true leaves, but then
refers to two ancient and/or obscure journal articles that I doubt I could
ever find. Would anyone care to explain the controversy, or point me to an
reference that would do so?

Another question; what is the taxonomic status of U. monanthos? Has it
been grouped into U. novae-zealaniae (or is it the other way around)? I
believe that the database lists them separately.

tim.

Tim Malcolm
malcol01@camosun.bc.ca