Re: dormancy questions

From: Philip Semanchuk (mrbones@mindspring.com)
Date: Mon Sep 06 1999 - 08:41:18 PDT

Date: Mon, 6 Sep 1999 11:41:18 -0400
From: "Philip Semanchuk" <mrbones@mindspring.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: dormancy questions

> Another Listmember advised to tell you about the local climate. I live
> in the Northwest part of Louisiana, USA. Humidity is fairly high, and
> the temps only occasionally get below 0 degrees F. Usually in the low
> twenties/high teens though.

Will, if all of your plants are native to North Amercia, I have good news --
you can leave all of your plants outside during the winter. Very low
maintenance! I live in Durham, NC and in late fall I cluster my plants
(Sarracenia and VFTs) under a pine tree, pack wood chips around the pots
(for heat-retaining mass) and throw a wire mesh over them to discourage
squirrels from digging in the pots. That's it. Sometimes during extreme cold
snaps I throw a tarp over them for the night but I'm not sure this has any
effect.

HTH,
Philip
URL du jour: http://www.gwbush.com/