RE: dormancy questions

From: Mellard, David (dam7@cdc.gov)
Date: Wed Nov 17 1999 - 06:22:55 PST

Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 09:22:55 -0500
From: "Mellard, David" <dam7@cdc.gov>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: dormancy questions

>I'm thinking of putting my plants under some kind of shelter so they
>stay relatively dry during dormancy; that's probably necessary,
>right?

While I've read that Sarr and VFT should be kept on the dry side during
dormancy, I'm starting to question that advice. These cp's live in areas
with wet winters so the advice of a drier dormancy doesn't make sense. I
think people may have had problems during dormancy because of their specific
growing conditions, for instance, a stale medium, poor air circulation. My
Sarr and VFT remain outside in bogs and experience very wet winters. The
seedlings I have indoors over winter are in pots that are always sitting in
water. I wouldn't worry too much about trying to keep your medium on the
dry side over winter. At most, avoid having the water level close to the
rhizome.

>Kind of
>a shame to have to drive them into dormancy, but I guess it's
>necessary...)

They'll do better in the long run if you induce dormancy.

>, but the breviflora rosette is looking kind of ragged. Any suggestions
will be
>appreciated.

The brevifolia I've grown have done well for about a year, produced flowers
and seeds and then promptly died. It's normal, although Barry proclaims
<gr> to have a super duper brevifolia that lives longer. Hopefully, your
plant will hang on long enough to produce seeds. Try to keep it as warm as
possible. The cool weather is not conducive to active growth or seed
production so you might loose your plant before the seed mature.

David
Atlanta