Re: How hot is too hot for CPs???

From: Philip Semanchuk (mrbones@mindspring.com)
Date: Mon Jul 05 1999 - 16:11:12 PDT

Date: Mon, 5 Jul 1999 19:11:12 -0400
From: "Philip Semanchuk" <mrbones@mindspring.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: How hot is too hot for CPs???

> I read in a
> book that CPs should be kept at a temperature of 65-76
> degrees farenheit. I keep all my CPs out in my
> sunporch, and it gets to atleast 85 degrees out there.
> Is this way too hot?

Hi Amy,
The short answer is "no". Most CPs regularly experience temperatures above
that range, but talking about all CPs as a group is not very useful when
discussing temperature ranges. Nepenthes grow in the tropics, Sarracenia in
both the coastal and mountain regions of the USA, some Drosera in dry areas
of Australia, some Pinguicula in reindeer territory...in other words, what
is "too hot" depends on which CPs you're talking about. D. intermedia can
certainly handle temps above 85, even above 100F as long as the humidity is
high enough. I don't have much experience growing Drosera but what you
describe sounds like something other than a heat-related illness.

Hope this helps