Slow growing Nepenthes

From: Phill Mann (philmann@altu.net.au)
Date: Fri Jun 11 1999 - 05:58:00 PDT

Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 20:58:00 +0800
From: "Phill Mann" <philmann@altu.net.au>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Slow growing Nepenthes

Tom Masey wrote
A plant of maybe an inch across
stalls and then starts producing all kinds of divisions. So if the
Cytokins and Auxins are hard to get rid of, do you neutralize them in some
way, are you saying you don't use them, or maybe something else? I do not
do TC work, but my observations have led me to suspect that the TC hormones
for some plants/ some TC'ers/ some formulas/ etc. etc. might lead to plants
that are unable to produce roots, are unable to produce a dominant bud.

Tom
I'm not familiar with what you mention as 'stalls' I have not seen this in
the glasshouse, where I gather you are
refering to. Yes in culture, this happens frequently with most species. I
use this natural method for division.
As I stated, I don't use hormones as I found they are residual and very hard
to get rid off. I guess then
that if they are used heavily for production of large numbers there is
always a chance of adverse effects
showing at later stages. Someone who uses these hormones would be better
qualified on this subject.

You must also remember that cultures normally do not induce root growth
unless hormones are added or
the plants stressed. Nepenthes are able to absorb their nutrients and
moisture through the leaves and
therefore have no need for roots in culture. I always treat my plantlets
with rooting hormone when
deflasking. I don't know what you refer to a "dormant bud" as Nepenthes do
not require dormancy.
Regards
Phill Mann
P.O. Box 193