mosquito control (was algae and rainwater)

From: Patty Petzel (petzelp@gw.lbcc.cc.or.us)
Date: Tue Jun 08 1999 - 13:12:57 PDT

Date: Tue, 08 Jun 1999 13:12:57 -0700
From: "Patty Petzel" <petzelp@gw.lbcc.cc.or.us>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: mosquito control (was algae and rainwater)

Jay Lechtman asked: >>>I have recently seen mosquito control cakes
comprised primarily (I >believe) of Bacillus thuringiensis var.
israelensis, and designed >to be broken up and disolved in water.

>Has anyone used this product? Any experiences you can share?
>untoward effect on plants? reapplication rate? effectiveness?<<<

I used this product last year and it worked very well. I know how
well it worked because I left a tub of water untreated. That tub
produced alot of mosquitoes. I tossed in different size pieces
depending on the tank size. It sems like I used half a cake for 300
gallons, maybe a thumbnail size piece in buckets. It seemed to go a
long way. I believe I only applied it twice last summer. It didn't
seem to kill off any other water critters, just mosquito larvae. I
couldn't see that it hurt the plants (Sarrs., VFTs, Drosera,
Utrics., Sphagnum, other non CPs). I'm only now getting ready to
use it again. (It's been too cool to sit out side much this spring
and I like the idea of letting birds and bats consume some of the
early mosquitoes).