RE: mosquito control (was algae and rainwater)

From: Tom Massey (massey@hal.fmhi.usf.edu)
Date: Wed Jun 09 1999 - 06:57:45 PDT

Date: Wed, 9 Jun 1999 09:57:45 -0400
From: Tom Massey <massey@hal.fmhi.usf.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: mosquito control (was algae and rainwater)

Well, just to make it an even three, I have also used the donut cakes
effectively. They have not produced any ill effects for Neps., VFTs, or
Sarrs. over the two years I have used them.

And yes the tiger mosquito is in Florida, and in other areas of the world
 harbors Dengue fever. However, there has (last time I heard) never been
a US case of Dengue fever from an American source. (As opposed to
travelers who bring back a case or recent immigrants etc.)

And as a matter of preference, the tigers are big and slow compared to our
native salt marsh buggers.

Tom in Fl.

While I cover the three 32-gallon cisterns I use to collect
rainwater from the water (my, but water butt is a much more colorful
term <gr>), I still get mosquito larvae in the water trays my
outdoor plants are placed in. Since the mosquitoes look menacingly
like the Asian Tiger Mosquitoes I have heard now can carry Dengue
Fever in the Southeast U.S. (might need David M. or another
CDC-type to verify this <gr>) I'm somewhat concerned.

I have recently seen mosquito control cakes comprised primarily (I
believe) of Bacillus thuringiensis var. israelensis, and designed
to be broken up and disolved in water.

(etc - SNIP)