RE: Venus flytraps in Mississippi

From: Brewer Charles E PHDN (brewerce@nswcphdn.navy.mil)
Date: Fri May 28 1999 - 07:26:07 PDT

Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 10:26:07 -0400
From: Brewer Charles E PHDN <brewerce@nswcphdn.navy.mil>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: Venus flytraps in Mississippi

 I would like to add some suggestion to growing VFTs. Over the last 30 years
of growing these plants, I have switched from the tray method to using large
pots with excellent results. I use pots that don't have bottom holes in
them. This allows me to the to drill one or two small drain holes in the
bottom of the pot, allowing the water to seep out slowly and naturally. The
soil stays fresher longer and provides just the right amount of moisture to
last several days. One big advantage of using large pots, allows these
plant to grow to their fullest potential without restrictions. A 10 to 12
inch pot may sound like an over kill until you have tried it. Top dress your
pot with sphagnum, small pine chips, chopped up pine needles or what ever,
don't limited yourself to just one VFT per pot, add a few other sun loving
CPs and you have a nice display that will last several years before having
to change out the soil. Additionally, I use this method for Sarrs, Cephs,
Pings, and Droseras. It works better then anything I have used accept an
outdoor bog. I also use more sand then peat in my mix. Although 50/50 peat
to sand works great, I prefer using a 60/40 ratio, sand to peat. This seems
to hold just the right amount of moisture, still allowing the soil to drain
naturally. Adding more peat to your mix may keep your soil wetter longer, I
tend to like refreshing the water in the soil every other day during summer,
or maybe it's an excuse to spend more time with these wonderful plants. Hope
this helps.
Charles Brewer
Va. Beach, Va.