Re: Sarracenia Flava cv. 'Burgundy' for sale (or is it?)

From: Andrew Bate (cp@astilla.demon.co.uk)
Date: Tue Apr 13 1999 - 10:45:56 PDT

Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 17:45:56 GMT
From: cp@astilla.demon.co.uk (Andrew Bate)
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Sarracenia Flava cv. 'Burgundy' for sale (or is it?)

details... >http://www.astilla.demon.co.uk/cp-forsale.html >
>Photos of my main plant from last summer can be found here...
>http://www.astilla.demon.co.uk/cp_photos/s_flava_burgundy98.jpg
>http://www.astilla.demon.co.uk/cp_photos/s_flava_burgundy98_2.jpg

I had it brought to my attention the other day that these plant may
not in fact be true cv.'Burgundy'... It was mentioned to me that
Marston Exotics grow all Sarracenia from seed and would call the
seed grown plant from a true cv'Burgundy' the same name without it
actually being a division of the real plant... :-( Whether this is
the case with my plant or not I do not yet know (and probably will
never find out).

Basically, I bought the plant in good faith (and a high price) that
it was a true cultivar and now I do not know if the divisions I have
from the plant I bought can really be classed as cv.'Burgundy'.

I still love the plants I have and they are still for sale but if
anyone is interested then I have to add a disclaimer and not call
the plants cv'Burgundy' until I can try and get some sort of facts
from Marstons...

Regards,

Andrew -- Andrew Bate | Email: andrew@astilla.demon.co.uk Worcester, UK